04 November 2008

A Visit from the HUF Group

Sunday was a class day. We omitted chapel from the schedule and ate lunch at 1:00 p.m. The last class ended at 3:00, and at about 3:45 a charter bus carrying the HUF group arrived at the hotel. We worshipped together in the classroom at 4:00; Dr. Gardner preached the sermon. At 5:15 we began shuttling people down to the soccer fields in Fighille, a village on the Sansepolcro side of the ridge. The most direct road to Fighille is quite steep in some places, and on my second trip back to the hotel, I think I left part of the station wagon's tires on the road because I couldn't get enough traction. The students played for about two hours on three fields; they formed six mixed teams (genders, schools), and from what I heard afterward everyone seemed to have a pretty good time. I was spared shuttling duty on the way back to the hotel, and apparently Giorgio executed a series of death-defying maneuvers getting a packed minibus back up the really steep slope to Citerna. Shortly after 8:00, we were all sitting down to pizza in the dining room. The HUF group left for Florence between 9:00 and 9:30. I didn't have as much time to visit with Robby as I would have liked, but we made tentative plans to meet at the villa for lunch on Sunday, when we'll be on free travel and the HUF students will be in Rome.

No comments: