05 September 2008

Into the Grind



We are now in our second day of classes. A number of students (and faculty) are confused about which classes they are taking, and I have a feeling there will be some significant drop/add activity after today.


Our semester schedule includes 42 class days, with each class designated as meeting on "odd" or "even" days. With one or two exceptions, every day we are here at the Hotel Sobaria is a class day, including Saturdays and Sundays. On odd days, classes run from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or thereabouts. On even days, the school day is over by 3:30 p.m. My classes are all before lunch (1:30 p.m.), but I also teach at 7:00 a.m. every day, so there is a definite tradeoff. Yesterday was an exception; we had our orientation from 9:00 to 10:30, and classes ran from 11:00 until after 5:00.


Chapel meets every class day at 10:00 a.m. I did the devotional yesterday and spoke about the importance of being a representative for our schools, our country, and God while we are in Europe.


Somehow I can't seem to get away from problems back in Montgomery. I have had to deal with two or three miniature crises ranging from problems with my bank to university accreditation issues since I arrived two days ago. Hopefully, everything will settle down soon so I can concentrate on teaching here.

No comments: